What documents will I need?


Documents.pngThe earlier you start collecting your documents the easier it will be when it comes time to apply.

Because immigration reform hasn't passed yet, we don't know exactly what you'll need, but here are some documents you should start getting together:

Identification Documents

  • Passport or Consular ID, and birth certificate from your home country
  • State or Federal ID (including driver’s license, Employment Authorization Document, etc.)

Employment and Tax Records

  • Pay stubs and W-2s from all jobs you have had in the United States
  • Letters from “off the books” employers with dates of employment and contact information (It is better if they are notarized.)
  • Your tax returns for any years where you filed Federal and/or State tax returns

School Records

  • United States high school diploma or GED certificate
  • Complete transcripts from all schools you attended in the United States

Entry Documents

  • Entry visas and I-94 forms (if you entered on a visa)
    Note: If you came across the border you will probably not have to prove exactly when you crossed, but you should gather documents from dates as close to when you came into the U.S. as possible.
¿Ha sido útil?/Was this helpful?

Be the first to comment/Sé el primero en comentar

Own the Dream: Guide for Immigrant Youth/Unete al Sueno: Guia para Jovenes Inmigrantes