Your Guide to Administrative Relief 2014

Haga clic aquí para leer en español.

The President Just Announced Administrative Relief for Immigrants.

What is it?


IMPORTANT:  There is no application for administrative relief yet!!  DO NOT be fooled by notarios who say they can help you apply.


We will be holding comprehensive information sessions. Event dates coming soon!


If you haven't already, sign up to receive email and text updates and we will let you know when slots become available.

How can we help you? (If your question is not answered below, ask us here.)

What is Administrative Relief?


stop.pngAdministrative Relief is a program President Obama has enacted to protect certain groups of immigrants from unfair deportation, and give some of them access to work permits. 

It is an expansion of a program that has been around for a long time, called Deferred Action.   

A grant of deferred action under this program is temporary – it is only good for 3 years.  After that, you may be able to renew.  It is not a pathway to getting a green card or U.S. citizenship.

Who is eligible for Administrative Relief?


Calendar.pngPresident Obama has created two different groups who are potentially eligible for Administrative Relief.

Deferred Action for Parents (DAP)  Parents of United States Citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (“green card” holders), who have lived in the U.S. continuously since January 1, 2010.

Expanded DACA  Undocumented immigrants (regardless of your current age or whether or not you have any children) who:

  • Have been living in the U.S. continually since January 1, 2010
  • were under 16 at the time of arrival
  • meet certain educational requirements and other criteria
    • You do not have to be enrolled in school right now to qualify. MRNY can help you get into a qualifying educational program 

NOTE:  If you have ever been arrested or had problems with the police you should talk to a lawyer BEFORE applying!

Are there any other changes that might affect me?



President Obama also announced some other changes to the immigration system, including an expanded “waiver” for people who might be able to get a “green card” through a relative.  This waiver is very complicated and may be difficult to get. 

You should talk to a lawyer you trust before applying for this waiver or putting in any other immigration application.

When will I be able to apply?


Stopwatch.pngYou cannot apply yet! 

Depending on what type of Deferred Action you qualify for you will be able to apply either in late February 2015 or late May 2015.


What should I do now?


checklist.pngSome steps you can take right away:

  • Collect as many documents as you can to prove how long you have lived in the U.S.  These might include your passport, school records, your tax records, records of employment (pay stubs, letters from employers, etc.), and anything else you can find.

  • SAVE MONEY!  The government is going to charge a fee for the application, and there may be additional fees you have to pay through the process.

  • Get an ID from your Home Country (passport, consular ID, etc.)  It is likely that you will have to provide this when you apply.

  • AVOID NOTARIOS!  People who tell you they can help you apply now are trying to trick you!  There is no application process open.  People who say they can make your application go faster are lying.  There is no way to speed up the process.  Make sure you consult a trusted organization, like Make the Road, before you start the process.

What documents will I need?


Documents.pngThe earlier you start collecting your documents the easier it will be when it comes time to apply.

Because immigration reform hasn't passed yet, we don't know exactly what you'll need, but here are some documents you should start getting together:

Identification Documents

  • Passport or Consular ID, and birth certificate from your home country
  • State or Federal ID (including driver’s license, Employment Authorization Document, etc.)

Employment and Tax Records

  • Pay stubs and W-2s from all jobs you have had in the United States
  • Letters from “off the books” employers with dates of employment and contact information (It is better if they are notarized.)
  • Your tax returns for any years where you filed Federal and/or State tax returns

School Records

  • United States high school diploma or GED certificate
  • Complete transcripts from all schools you attended in the United States

Entry Documents

  • Entry visas and I-94 forms (if you entered on a visa)
    Note: If you came across the border you will probably not have to prove exactly when you crossed, but you should gather documents from dates as close to when you came into the U.S. as possible.

Where is Make the Road and when can I come?


Make the Road has offices in Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and Long Island

(the addresses and phone numbers for these offices are listed below)

Call to get more information, or come to an office in person to see how you can learn more and engage in the continuing fight for Respect and Dignity.

Make the Road Offices:

Bushwick, Brooklyn
301 Grove Street
Brooklyn, New York 11237
t: (718) 418-7690
f: (718) 418-9635

Jackson Heights, Queens
92-10 Roosevelt Avenue
Jackson Heights, New York 11372
t: (718) 565-8500
f: (718) 565-0646

Midland Beach, Staten Island
278 Colony Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10306
t: (718) 987-5503

Port Richmond, Staten Island
161 Port Richmond Avenue
Staten Island, New York 10302
t: (718) 727-1222
f: (718) 981-8077

Brentwood, Long Island
1090 Suffolk Avenue
Brentwood, NY 11717
t: (631) 231-2220
f: (631) 231-2229


Was this helpful?
Own the Dream: Guide for Immigrant Youth/Unete al Sueno: Guia para Jovenes Inmigrantes